What is a catastrophic injury?
A catastrophic injury is a severe and often life-changing injury that has a significant impact on a person’s physical, emotional, and financial well-being. Catastrophic injuries can result in permanent disability, chronic pain, and a reduced quality of life. They often require ongoing medical care and rehabilitation, which can be expensive. A catastrophic injury lawyer can represent the injured and fight to recover fair compensation for their injuries.
Examples of catastrophic injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries occur when there is damage to the spinal cord itself or the nerves at the end of the spinal canal. These injuries can cause partial or complete paralysis, loss of sensation and bowel or bladder dysfunction. They may also require lifelong medical care. Spinal cord injuries can occur from many different accidents, including car crashes, slip and falls, or construction accidents.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are caused by a severe blow or jolt to the head that disrupts normal brain function. Car accidents, falls, or assaults can all cause head trauma. TBIs can have long-lasting effects, including cognitive impairment, memory loss, speech difficulties, and emotional disturbances.
- Amputations: Amputations are often the result of traumatic accidents that sever limbs or digits from the body. Losing a limb can have a profound impact on a person’s ability to work, perform daily living tasks, and engage in recreational activities. They can cause significant disability and emotional distress.
- Burn injuries: Burn injuries can range from mild sunburns to severe third-degree burns that require skin grafts and hospitalization. Burn injuries are one of the most painful types of injury and can cause permanent scarring and disfigurement. They can be caused by fires, explosions, chemicals, electrical currents, or other sources of heat.
- Internal organ damage: Internal organ damage can occur from blunt force trauma or puncture wounds sustained in an accident. This injury can occur in many types of accidents, including car crashes, falls, and workplace accidents. The symptoms may not appear immediately but it can lead to long-term complications if not properly diagnosed and treated in time.
What kind of accidents can lead to a catastrophic injury?
- Car and Truck Accidents: One of the top causes of catastrophic injuries are car accidents. Car and truck accident victims often experience long-term disabilities, chronic pain, and emotional trauma.
- Workplace Accidents: Workplace accidents can result in catastrophic injuries such as amputations, traumatic brain injuries, or severe burns.
- Product Liability Accidents: Consumers rely on manufacturers to design and produce safe products. Yet every year, thousands of people suffer catastrophic injuries due to defective products.
What should I do if I suffer a catastrophic injury?
Yes. If you have suffered a catastrophic loss and think you have a case, then you should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You can contact us at 214-575-6060 if you would like help determining your legal options.
About Winocour Law
Our attorneys understand that a catastrophic injury can be devastating for the victim and their family. It can cause permanent physical disability, result in a lifetime of medical care, and have long-term financial implications. We will fight on your behalf to ensure you receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
At Winocour Law, we believe that everyone deserves justice and will fight hard to get you the justice you deserve. We are a small law firm that is dedicated to providing personal attention to each of our clients and are committed to helping them receive the best possible outcome for their case.